Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love...

Have been trying to squeeze in time to read the book whenever I can, during 'leisure'... But as you might have been able to tell, there's not much time for leisure given that I'm still reading this book after 3 weeks.

Whatever time I have when I'm not at work, I was definitely not at home and 'Eat, Love, Pray' was a book intended for home... However, this book has been most insightful and thoughtful... literally...

Just to share one part of it. Or bits and parts of it rather, to make a 'story' out of what I would like to share - Part 16:

Depression and Loneliness tracked me down after about 10 days in Italy....

They come upon me, all silent and menacing like Pinkerton Dectectives, and they flank me - Depression on my left, Loneliness on my right. They don't need to show me their badges. I know these guys very well. We've been playing a cat-and-mouse game for years now. Though I am surprised to meet them in this elegant Italian garden at dusk. This is no place they belong....

I say to them, "How did you find me here? Who told you I had come to Rome?".....

"It's not fair of you to come here," I tell Depression. "I paid you off already. I served my time back in New York."

But he just gives me that dark smile, settles into my favorite chair, puts his feet on my table and lights a cigar, filling the place with his awful smoke.

Loneliness watches and sigh, then climbs into my bed and pulls the covers over himself, fully dressed, shoes and all. He's going to make me sleep with him again tonight, I just know it.

--------------

I loved the way she described it with such analogies.

After reading this portion of the book, I'm glad that Depression and Loneliness have taken sabbatical leave and have gone on a world tour at this point in my life. And I hope that they won't come a-knocking on my door anytime soon... =)

No comments: