Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Suzhou travel log part one...

"Day 1: 6.08pm

Phew! Finally there's time for me to settle down, rest and enjoy some time to myself for a little while. The day's been pretty hectic, not to mention tiring...

Left Singapore at 1.15am this morning. The flight took about 5 hours and we arrived at Shanghai at 6.15am. The first glance of Shanghai from the plance surprised me. It was nothing like what I heard of China from my parents. But then again, their 3-month experience with China is 17 years old. True to its reputation as an emerging country, the whole place was filled with high-rised buildings, skyscrapers that look as modern as perhaps Singapoe or New York.


Buildings of Suzhou

The first impression of the airport was that it was huge! Not only that, it was pretty clean as well. Upon reaching the airport, we were kinda disappointed to find out that it was another 2 hours bus-ride to out hotel, Sheraton Towers in Suzhou. Guess we were all very tired as most of us couldn't really sleep during the flight. And we had only about 3 hours of sleep or lesser before they woke us up for breakfast at 4ish...

When we were enroute to our hotel, the first sights of Shanghai reminded me of Bangkok, or even Malaysia. There were plenty of low-rise buildings along the sides of the roads, mostly shophouses, restaurants or departmental stores.

When I found out that I had a whole room to myself, I was so impressed... (First press trip mah....) Anyway, when I saw the room, I was even more impressed. The room was luxurious!


My hotel room in Suzhou Sheraton

The hotel provided everything that you can think of! They had a really nice toilet too! I couldn't help myself but actually had shower 4 times today! Well, the weather's really hot here too... And dusty...

We had an absolutely unforgettable lunch after that. It was a meal that's fit for the emporer truly! We actually lost track of how many dishes we had... The food came in huge servings, one after another. I think it was easily 20 plus or more variey of dishes.


The meal that's fit for an Emperor

Imagine there were 5 different dessert, 2 different prawn dishes, 2 chicken dishes, 3 different fish dishes... And many more!!!! We were just amazed... and so overwhelmed that we kept asking them to remove the dishes even before we were anywhere near done with them.

Can't imagine I need to go for dinner soon... After 40 mins of rest... Sigh... will fill you in again later..."

That wasn't even the entire log for day one.. But well, I did not have time to log after day one though.. Haha... Guess I'll continue the log tomorrow! :)

No comments: