Friday, May 07, 2004

Life: the contrary of Maths?

Was reading this book titled "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time ", which is written by one hell of an intelligent author, Mark Haddon, when something in the book struck me. No silly... not literally but rather struck me as in caught my attention...

Anyway, the gist of what struck me in a particular chapter in that particular book was that, some people like Maths because it is safe. Safe in the sense that there will ALWAYS be a straightforward answer at the end of the Maths problem. Which also means that a Maths problem can always be solved with an appropriate solution. And Maths will never be like reality in life, because in life, there is NEVER a straightforward answer. Mark Haddon really sounds like a genius... you guys should read this book... it's 'revelation' to a certain extent... and the amazing thing is, the story is supposedly written through the eyes of a child who has Asperger's Syndrome* (AS).

But no wonder I hate Maths. Can you imagine how simple life would be if there is a straightforward answer to everything? Adjectives such as worried, thrilling, anticipating, frightened and Nouns such as problems, trouble etc etc will never, ever be used. Because they would be redundant. Because everything can be solved at the end of the day. Therefore, no fear, no worries, don't bother.

Borrrrrrrrrrrrringggggggggggg............

I like life the way it is. Full of anticipation, full of pains, heartaches, worries, troubles, stress. And no, that does not mean that I like to indulge in Sadism or Masochism. But rather, in a cliche manner of description, it adds spice to life. Colors your world in a way a prism would break up, otherwise white or yellow light to the naked eye, into a multi-colored band of light similar to rainbow colors. It makes me feel.... HUMAN.

Don't you think that somehow the Chinese phrase (in literal translation) "Bitterness comes before the sweetness" is actually quite true? Having tasted the bitter, the sweet will be especially sweet with a longer, lingering taste. In English I suppose a phrase that holds the same meaning would be "Reap what you sow"? In the sense that you have to go through alot of trouble, obstacles, and pump in loads of effort before you enjoy the "Fruits of your labour"?

Haha... I can't believe I'm writing all these at 1am in the morning. I've got a press conference to attend at 8am tomorrow at Swissotel Merchant Court! ARGHH!! That means waking up at 7am! Yucks... I'm deprived... deprived of sleep... But then again, I know what all my dear friends would say to me... "You asked for it."

Still, this explains why I hate Maths. Cause I love Life...


Reference:

*Someone who has AS may exhibit autistic-like behaviors and marked deficiencies in social and communication skills.

No comments: