Friday, February 25, 2005

How to teach English?

Came home yesterday after tuition pondering on this question:
How does one teach English?

English's definitely not something that can be learnt over night. And to have a proper grasp of the language, it takes time to build a strong foundation... before constructing on it.

Seeing my student struggle with the language, sometimes I get lost. Lost because I lose sense of where to start, how to start teaching her. She's 17 but her english is probably the standard of one who's primary 3/4. BUT the problem is, for students who have been brought up in singapore, by the time they reach primary 3 or primary 4, they would have a set of language knowledge of sorts, even if they can't grasp everything completely. But for my kid, there seem to be parts and parcels missing..... Gaps to be filled in....

Well, figured that I really do need to sit down and think about how I can carry out the lessons in a more structure manner that best benefits my kid. Doesn't help that lessons keep getting interrupted because she has stuff from school that she needs help with.

I need advice... Shall go talk to jean jie.... :)

No comments: