Thursday, March 24, 2005

The fairy tale dimension...

Just finished reading two books lately. Mitch Alboom's "The five people you meet in heaven" and "Girl with a pearl earring" by Tracy Chevalier.

Both books are very different. And yet both books are beautifully written.

Every book that I read, I can't help getting intricately interwoven with the characters and the plot in the book. I just love reading.

Sometimes I feel that it is because reading provides me with another dimension that I cannot gain access to in reality. That's what reading is all about for me. It is a vicarious experience through the author's eyes, through the author's thoughts. In reading a piece of work by other authors, I can't help but have my own thoughts evoked as I go through their experience. I like it... Removes the mundane from my life... It's almost like a fairy-tale dimension. The same reason why people like watching fairytale cartoons or movies.

Most of the time, when I do chance upon a really good book, I can't help feeling sad and reluctant to put the book down when the story has ended.

Just like the "Girl with the pearl earring".



I love books with a cultural background to it and this one has one. It's a book about a girl who's father went blind, due to an accident when working with the kiln. Because of the loss of income, the girl has to work as a maid, for a rather famous painter. And the story goes on and on about her life as a maid, and the plot more or less hinges on her attractiveness, her humbleness and the jealousy others have of her.

Anyway, what I love about the book is that I did learn something from it. I learnt about painters and pictures. I discovered certain features of paintings. Also of how a painting is not just a painting because of the work processes, the thought processes that takes place before a painter can lay down his first strokes of the paintbrush on the canvas. Beautiful...

Sigh.. but the book has ended... life must now go on... to other books! Am going to start reading "Tuedays with Morrie" by Mitch Alboom! Heard it's better than "The five people you meet in heaven". Hehe... Off I go...

No comments: